Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Wheat Harvest

They say you can never go home again, but I'm not so sure that's the case. To me, "home" will always be "home". Maybe it's because we've moved so many times and lived in so many different places, but it just always feels like we're going home when we go back to the place where I grew up, and where most of my family still lives...Oklahoma.



Every June we spend about 10 days helping with harvest. Over the last 20 years, my city-boy husband has become quite the farmer. He looks forward to it, and I THINK they actually count on him. It's a family event, and although my girls have been many places, and experienced many different things, I think this might just be the most wholesome wonderful thing out of them all.




Every kid should get to experience country life...at least for a moment.




There's nothing like some good old-fashioned dirt-diggin' kind of fun!




Remember "Parachute Men"? They make for some cheap and great entertainment. :)




I love that my kids can get a small taste of how I grew up. I come from a hard-working family with good strong values, and, although there were times during my teenage years that I didn't want any part of it, I'm very proud that those are my roots. I can only hope that I can be the kind of example to my children that I was shown throughout my life...that of my family.

2 comments:

Heidi Zawisza said...

Going back home is ALWAYS great....but especially a farm!! I just got back from Iowa and my grandparents farm. Priceless!
Anyways, I love your pictures!

sweetfunkyvintage said...

I think any opportunity that kids can experience farm life is a great thing. My husband grew up on a dairy farm in Wisconsin and my girls go visit for 2 weeks every summer.
missy