Friday, November 9, 2007

'ello Scone


My husband said, "I just don't get it". But I did, and I smiled and said, "that's because you were never a girl". It was coming from the backseat. It started with a silly phrase, "'ello Muffin". Which was returned with, "'ello Scone", and echoes of giggles surrounded us, followed by more and more giggles and silliness. For the moment, it wasn't about peer pressure, or growing up too fast. It wasn't about girl drama, or growing pains. It was about silliness and being thirteen. It was about not yet being a woman but no longer being a little girl...just trapped in that in between place, and, for the moment, relishing in it. Some things have changed, but some have stayed the same, and yeah...I "got" it. It was about wearing each other's clothes and keeping half of your wardrobe in your best friend's closet. It was about making total sense in that nonsensical sort of way. Mostly though, it was about being a girl, and that, my dear husband, is something you'll never completely "get".

4 comments:

Love said...

i linked here from nic's 60 piggies. what a delightful little blog you have! =)
with a sister who is just 13 months older than me, and now having 3 daughters under 4...i so "get" this post. and it made me smile. =)

nic said...

i love how you've phrased this. makes me want to be 13 again...well, almost. ;)

Willow Tree said...

What a great story and I agree sometimes there are things that only girls understand:)
Brooke

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Just when I think I have my playlist the way I want it, I go somewhere and fall in love with all new songs. I LOVE everything you have playing!!