Saturday, March 8, 2008

Do your kids ever want your attention, and, at the moment, you're just a little "too busy". You put them on hold rather than stop what you're doing. Then later, you realize that what you were doing wasn't THAT important, and you really weren't SO busy that you couldn't put it aside for a moment.

Paityn loves to sew. She has her own machine in her room. Her "designs" may not be quite ready for eBay or Etsy, but I like that she figures things out on her own. She doesn't use a pattern. Isn't that sort of like "playing by ear" or something?? I like to think so. Granted, she has a slit in the fabric rather than an official buttonhole, and maybe there are a few puckers, but for 10, I think she does pretty good.

So she sewed up a tote the other day. I don't know how she figures out how big and what shape to make each piece, but she does. She was SO proud of this tote. Of course I praised her...ranted and raved about what a great job she did. But when she wanted to send a picture to "MeMe", I didn't have "time" at the moment to stop what I was doing and mess around with the camera, computer, etc. Besides, "MeMe" is away from home and doesn't have computer access at the moment, so, in my logical adult mind, it really didn't matter anyway.

This was what I found on my camera the next morning when she was away at school:


Do you think she's been watching me a little? Notice the set up for the picture? It seems a little boutiquish to me. Yeah...I think she's been paying attention. Maybe I need to pay a little more attention to her.

8 comments:

janae said...

Oh, I bet that just broke your heart to see that she just went and took the picture herself. This happens to me all the time. I'm trying to get better and just take the time. Realizing that they will be gone one day. Paityn is very talented, just like her mom! I can't believe she made this!

nic said...

awesome bag!! must be genetic, eh?

you know, i do this all the time--the "just a minute" or "not right now" moments--and then catch myself, realizing that a couple hundred "not right nows" add up to "never." and that really, there will come a day (soon!) when my kids won't want to be seen with me in public, so carpe diem while i still retain a smidgen of coolness.

your girls are lucky to have such a thoughtful mum. :)

Mari said...

Sounds like my most recent blog entry!! She is going to be so talented just like her mom. WOW!!

janae said...

Love your new header picture! Bring on summer...well, at least spring!

Laurie said...

Oh Annette, we all do this... the best thing is that you recognized it and can be more mindful. Just reading your post makes me realize that I need to go give my baby a hug!

Love the bag, Paityn did such a fabulous job with it... tell her to keep rock'n out those totes!!!

Holly Stocke said...

Awe, you got me all misty-eyed. I can't believe she made that all on her own, and good for her figuring out how to use the camera! That's an amazing daughter you have on your hands!!!
Hol

Love said...

i try so hard to not do the "just a minute"'s. it seems like they come in spells though. thank you for the beautiful reminder.

this reminds me of the song "you're gonna miss this" totally my theme song right now. =)

you are a wonderful mom...and
are fast becoming one of my favorite blogs. =)

Clara said...

Oh what a sweet post! Your daughter is actually very good...I love it!!!

I've posted a poem on my blog almost about this very thing...